Postdoctoral Scholar, Sustainable Fisheries Group.
Ren received his BS, MS, and PhD in Physics from the University of the Philippines, Diliman. He has expertise in fisheries, ecological and agent-based modeling and has developed decision support tools and conducted research on coastal governance and socioeconomic complexities in small-scale fisheries in the Philippines and the Coral Triangle. Ren has worked on ecological modeling of fish-fisher interactions, applying network theory to marine metapopulations, age and stage structured modeling, bioeconomic modeling, modeling fish aggregating devices, marine spatial planning, climate vulnerability assessment of coastal fishing communities, and agent-based modeling of various biological systems. Ren’s current research includes ecosystem services tradeoff analysis under uncertainty and analyzing fly-over data to quantify the response of fishing and recreational boats to the establishment of Marine Protected Area network.
- R. Cabral, S. Gaines, B. Johnson, T. Bell, C. White, Channel Islands MPAs (Revision submitted to Ecological Applications)
- R. Cabral, B. Halpern, C. Costello, S. Gaines, Ecosystem Services Tradeoffs (Revision submitted to Conservation Letters)
- R. Cabral, S. Gaines, M. Lim, M. Atrigenio, S. Mamauag, G. Pedemonte, P. Aliño, MPA Networks and Metapopulation Modeling (Minor revision required, Ecosphere)
- C. Costello, D. Ovando, T. Clavelle, C.K. Strauss, R. Hilborn, M.C. Melnychuk, T.A. Branch, S.D. Gaines, C.S. Szuwalski, R.B. Cabral, D.N. Rader, A. Leland. 2016. Global fishery prospects under contrasting management regimes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113: 5125–5129.
(Altmetric score over 400) Covered by National Geographic, Washington Post, etc.
- J.D.L. Yen, R.B. Cabral, M. Cantor, I. Hatton, S. Kortsch, J. Patrício, M. Yamamichi. 2016. Linking structure and function in food webs: maximization of different ecological functions generates distinct food-web structures. Journal of Animal Ecology 85: 537-547.
- M. Cantor, L. Shoemaker, R. Cabral, C. Flores, M. Varga, H. Whitehead. 2015. Multilevel animal societies can emerge from cultural transmission. Nature Communications 6: 8091.
(Altmetric score over 400) Covered by over 50 news agencies including Time Magazine, National Geographic, Discovery, Washington Post, Science, Nature, BBC News, and CBC News
- V. Horigue, R.L. Pressey, M. Mills, J. Brotánková, R. Cabral, S. Andréfouët. 2015. Benefits and Challenges of Scaling Up Expansion of Marine Protected Area Networks in the Verde Island Passage, Central Philippines. PLoS ONE 10: e0135789.
- R.B. Cabral, S.S. Mamauag, P.M. Aliño. 2015. Designing a marine protected areas network in a data-limited situation. Marine Policy 59: 64–76.
- R.B. Cabral, P.M. Aliño, A.C.M. Balingit, C.M. Alis, H.O. Arceo, C.L. Nañola Jr, R.C. Geronimo, and MSN Partners. 2014. The Philippine Marine Protected Area (MPA) Database. Philippine Science Letters 7: 300-308.
Covered by GMA News
- R.B. Cabral, P.M. Aliño, M.T. Lim. 2014. Modeling the impacts of fish aggregating devices (FADs) and fish enhancing devices (FEDs) and their implications for managing small-scale fishery. ICES Journal of Marine Science 71: 1750-1759.
Covered by Nature
- Cruz-Trinidad, P.M. Alino, R. Geronimo, R. Cabral. 2014. Linking food security with coral reefs and fisheries in the Coral Triangle. Coastal Management 42: 160-182.
- R. Muallil, S. Mamauag, R. Cabral, E. Dizon, P. Alino. 2014. Status, trends and challenges in the sustainability of small-scale fisheries in the Philippines: Insights from FIHSDA model. Marine Policy 44: 212-221.
- S.S. Mamauag, P.M. Aliño, R.J.S. Martinez, R.N. Muallil, M.V.A. Doctor, E.C. Dizon, R.C. Geronimo, F. Panga, R.B. Cabral. 2013. Tool for Understanding Resilience of Fisheries (TURF): A framework for assessing the vulnerability of coastal fisheries ecosystems to climate change. Fisheries Research 147: 381-393.
- R.B. Cabral, P.M. Aliño, M.T. Lim. 2013. A coupled stock-recruitment-age-structured model of the North Sea cod under the influence of depensation. Ecological Modelling 253: 1-8.
- R. Cabral, A. Cruz-Trinidad, R. Geronimo, L. Napitupulu, P. Lokani, D. Boso, C. Casal, N. Fatan, P. Aliño. 2012. Crisis sentinel indicators: Averting a potential meltdown in the Coral Triangle. Marine Policy 39: 241-247.
- R.B. Cabral, A. Cruz-Trinidad, R.C. Geronimo, P.M. Aliño. 2012. Opportunities and Challenges in the Coral Triangle. Environmental Science and Technology 46 (15), pp 7930–7931
- Cruz-Trinidad, R.C. Geronimo, R.B. Cabral, P.M. Aliño. 2011. How much are the Bolinao-Anda coral reefs worth? Ocean & Coastal Management 54: 696-705.
- R.N. Muallil, R.C. Geronimo, D. Cleland, R.B. Cabral, M.V. Doctor, A. Cruz-Trinidad, P.M. Aliño. 2011. Willingness to exit the artisanal fishery as a response to scenarios of declining catch and/or increasing monetary incentives. Fisheries Research 111: 74-81.
- R.B. Cabral, P.M. Aliño. 2011. Transition from common to private coasts: Consequences of privatization of the coastal commons. Ocean & Coastal Management 54: 66-74.
- R.B. Cabral, M.T. Lim. 2010. Polarity-driven geometrical cluster growth model of budding yeast. International Journal of Modern Physics C 21: 1169-1182.
- R.B. Cabral, R.C. Geronimo, M.T. Lim, P.M. Aliño. 2010. Effect of variable fishing strategy on fisheries under changing effort and pressure: an agent-based model application. Ecological Modelling 221: 362-369.